WHAT CAREERS ARE YOU TALKING TO YOUR CHILDREN ABOUT?
Could your child be Britain's next generation of talent, who will help us to save the planet, build the next big invention and explore the outer reaches of space?
90% of young people can't remember receiving any career advice about manufacturing and engineering. You can help them to reach their potential and earn a great salary
A career in engineering and manufacturing is not just for men that like to wear white coats and hard hats. There are a huge range of ways that your child could find a fulfilling career in engineering or manufacturing that will help them to achieve their potential.
Why not talk to your child about how a career in engineering or manufacturing could help them to:
Change the World
"Engineering makes you consider how the world is going to change, at the moment particularly looking at climate change and how important it is to tackle it. Your job as an engineer can really make a difference" - Chris Pearce - Project Engineer
- Make a difference, by changing how people experience the world
- Leave your mark, by finding new ways for people to interact with each other and the environment
"There is not necessarily one right answer anymore so you have to be prepared to try out different methods and approaches before you are satisfied with the final result" - Sita Shah, Engineering student, Cambridge University
- Help find solutions to some of today’s most pressing problems
- Be part of teams working on providing new alternative energy sources or developing environmentally-friendly food production
- Seize the challenge, and take up a career that is demanding but also extremely creative and exciting
"As a scientist and as an engineer I have travelled across the globe and seen some fantastic things . . I’ve worked on telescopes on mountains where the stars make my heart sing to see them" - Maggie Aderin-Pocock MBE, Space Scientist and Science Communicator
- Learn transferable skills that can be used around the world
- Experience working in a wide range of environments, one day might be spent in a laboratory and the next in a skyscraper
- Work within a great variety of different industries fashion to construction, there is no limit
Earn a great salary
- Salaries in manufacturing can be £80,000 per year plus
- Engineers and physical scientists earn over £230,000 more over their working lifetime compared to a non-graduate
- On average an engineer has a graduate premium 8 times higher than an arts graduate