What does being and engineer look like?
Britain needs new stars to save the planet, build the next big invention and explore the outer reaches of space
Join Talent 2030 to be part of the next generation that will change the world.
For more information on what an engineer is, how much they earn and how they save the world, look to the menu on the left of the page.
Make it big
Earn a great salary
“Take every opportunity you can, working abroad, working on new projects, or changing jobs. Working abroad in my placement year was the hardest thing I’ve done, but in retrospect the most rewarding and it taught me a lot" - Claire Jones, Mechanical Engineer and winner 2011 WISE Excellence Award
- Starting salaries range from £20-32,000 depending on the role
- Engineers and physical scientists earn over £230,000 more over their working lifetime compared to a non-graduate
- On average an engineer has a graduate premium 8 times higher than an arts graduate
- See Prospects’ list of engineering jobs
Work in exciting environments
"As a scientist and as an engineer I have travelled across the globe and seen some fantastic things . . I’ve worked on telescopes on mountains where the stars make my heart sing to see them" - Maggie Aderin-Pocock MBE, Space Scientist and Science Communicator
- Learn transferable skills that can be used around the world
- Experience working in a wide range of environments, one day might be spent in a laboratory and the next in a skyscraper
- Work within a great variety of different industries fashion to construction, there is no limit
"There is not necessarily one right answer anymore so you have to be prepared to try out different methods and approaches before you are satisfied with the final result" - Sita Shah, Engineering student, Cambridge University
- Help find solutions to some of today’s most pressing problems
- Be part of teams working on providing new alternative energy sources or developing environmentally-friendly food production.
- Seize the challenge, and take up a career that is demanding but also extremely creative and exciting